"Rooted" may be a better choice of words. What you see above is the top of an actual fence post that used to sit on my property.

The photograph above represents what I eventually came to see whenever I paid it a visit. So I brought it to life with my camera and some computer software simply as an exercise in creativity.

I can only attest for the 23 years I have lived here but local historians believe it's a good bet this post was probably placed in the ground over a hundred years ago. The general consensus is that it was set where it shouldn't of been; just outside my property line.

So last spring when the city of Alpine was reassessing it's property the location of my errant post was duly noted.

When I took down the fence [by demand] this post was so stubborn I had to pull it out with a tow chain hitched to the chassis of my truck. Apparently it was placed in the ground when it was still alive and as a result of an apparent "last gasp" effort, it sprouted roots. Seriously, a fence post with actual roots.

My wife has labeled me as a know-it-all (and as she is one herself she must certainly be correct). Know it or not it's her rhetoric reference to the the fact that my opinions are rooted in 62 years of experience. The fence post story illustrates the fact that right or wrong, in the end, even the most established and rooted of "whatever" can be dislodged with proper persuasion. So please feel free to attempt to dislodge any of my opinions that follow if deemed necessary.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Electric Drag Racing

This is a pretty fascinating article (and video) mostly for you guys. I have one question which doesn't seem to be brought up in this story and one comment.

What does this cost overall? How much was paid for the "just in time" delivered battery pack?

I remember in the early 90's asking a long time friend of mine who had become a successful artist what he had paid for his futuristic flatbed computerized image scanner. I was taken aback when he told me it cost him 10K! Last year, I purchased a far more advanced and compact model (in fact it was designed for "briefcase travel"), on sale for $19.95!!

That gives me hope that the costs for new Lithium battery packs will allow me to consider drag racing as a choice of new hobbies in my future.

Enjoy!

Thanks to my buddy DSG for this entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment